European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine - © EFIM
Intralobar pulmonary sequestration is an uncommon congenital lung anomaly which consists of a mass of normal lung tissue not connected to the normal tracheobronchial tree and supplied by an anomalous systemic artery. Carbohydrate antigen 19-9 (CA 19-9) is widely accepted as a tumour marker for biliary, pancreatic and gastrointestinal cancer. However, CA 19-9 may also be increased in patients with benign disease. We describe the case of a 56-year-old woman with intralobar pulmonary sequestration who underwent unnecessary and extensive diagnostic abdominal examinations because of an increase in CA 19-9 serum levels.
- Savic B, Birtel FJ, Tholen W, Funke HD, Knoche R. Lung sequestration: report of seven cases and review of 540 published cases. Thorax 1979;34:96–101.
- Ahn YH, Song MJ, Park SH. Intralobar pulmonary sequestration showing increased serum CA19-9. Tuberc Respir Dis 2012;72:507–510.
- Armbruster C, Kriwanek S, Feichtinger H, Armbruster C. Intra-abdominal sequestration of the lung and elevated serum levels of CA 19-9: a diagnostic pitfall. HPB (Oxford) 2004;6:45–48.
- Kristensen KL, Duus LA, Elle B. Endovascular treatment of an aneurysmal aberrant systemic artery supplying a pulmonary sequestrum. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2015;38:1308–1311.
- Gupta MK, Arciaga R, Bocci L, Tubbs R, Bukowski R, Deodhar SD. Measurement of a monoclonal-antibody- defined antigen (CA19-9) in the sera of patients with malignant and nonmalignant diseases: comparison with carcinoembryonic antigen. Cancer 1985;56:277–283.
- Dong J, Cai Y, Chen R, Du S, Chen Y, Shi K. A case report and a short literature review of pulmonary sequestration showing elevated serum levels of carbohydrate antigen 19-9. J Nippon Med Sch 2015;82:211–215.
- Montalto M, Santoro L, Vastola M, Curigliano V, Ricci R, Vecchio FM, et al. Normalisation of high CA 19-9 values in autoimmune hepatitis after steroidal treatment. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2005;18:603–607.