A Case Against Fancy Decorated Drinks: Multi-Organ Failure After Drinking a Mojito Cocktail
  • Simon Bac
    Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Dordrecht
  • Eric Frans van Bommel
    Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Dordrecht

Keywords

Mojito cocktail, Mint branche, Ileum perforation, Multi-organ failure.

Abstract

We present the first case of gastro-intestinal perforation caused by a mint twig decorating a cocktail drink. A 76-year-old man was enjoying his Mojito cocktail on a cruise ship near Mexico when he accidently swallowed a mint twig, resulting in ileum perforation. This led to a cascade of events, eventually resulting in life-threatening multi-organ failure. Given this rare but potentially severe complication and the increasing popularity of decorated drinks, a less ‘fancy’ presentation for cocktails and similar drinks may be warranted.

VIEW THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

References

  • Mesina C, Vasile I, Vilcea DI, Pasalega M, Calota F, Parvanescu H, et al. Problems of diagnosis and treatment caused by ingested foreign bodies. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2013;108:400–406
  • Choi Y, Kim G, Shim C, Kim D, Kim D. Peritonitis with small bowel perforation caused by a fish bone in a healthy patient. World J Gastroenterol 2014;20:1626–1629.
  • Cho E, Lee D, Hong H, Park C, Park S, Kim H, et al. An unusual case of duodenal perforation caused by a lollipop stick: a case report. Clin Endosc 2014;47:188–191.
  • Views: 1255
    HTML downloads: 277
    PDF downloads: 377
    Authors' disclosure and copyright authorization form downloads: 0
    Figure 1 downloads: 0


    Published: 2016-09-28
    Issue: Vol. 3 No. 6 (view)


    How to cite:
    1.
    Bac S, van Bommel EF. A Case Against Fancy Decorated Drinks: Multi-Organ Failure After Drinking a Mojito Cocktail. EJCRIM 2016;3 doi:10.12890/2016_000479.