Copper-induced Haemolytic Anaemia
KeywordsCopper poisoning, non-immune haemolytic anaemia, toxicology
Acute copper toxicity is uncommon in Western countries and is often the result of accidental consumption or a suicide attempt. We report the case of a 65-year-old man presenting to the accident and emergency department after a suicide attempt with ingestion of Bordeaux mixture, ibuprofen, acetaminophen and bleach. Primary evaluation showed caustic oesophagitis, toxic hepatitis and acute renal injury, which were treated with supportive care. During admission, he developed a non-immune haemolytic anaemia associated with high levels of copper in urine and blood. Chelation treatment with penicillamine was started and evolution was favourable after 1 month of treatment. Copper poisoning can be lethal. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are key for a favourable prognosis.
Issue: 2021: Vol 8 No 9 (view)